Friday, January 23, 2009

Artichokes & Social Media


Artichokes!  I could eat them every day of the week and never get sick of them!  

I am passionate about artichokes and will eat them no matter how they are prepared.  (Though my favorite is simply steamed and served with lemon butter.)    I must brag... I make a mean artichokes french!

I even have artichoke plates - and I don't believe in single-use appliances or things that are frivolous and take up too much space to be used twice a year.  And - I do use them often...

Social Media Experiment:

So... I got to thinking - I've been working with Social Media a bit and expanding my knowledge on ways to network - so I created a silly page on Facebook dedicated to Artichokes.  It was really just something I tried for fun, and I just created it last night.  

But I'm interested in testing out my networking capabilities and expanding my network of friends through a common interest.... artichokes!


13 fans in 24 hours!  People really do love artichokes, and they are finding my new page!  How exciting!

Not really a work related post, but it will be a great exercise in the power of social media and how people with common interests find each other.  If you know someone who loves artichokes - then pass it on!

Bon Appetit!

~~~~~~~~~~~ Follow Up ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been about 48 hours since I created the artichoke page (not quite yet), but I'm averaging about 1 new fan per hour which is cool.  Hope to keep it up.  Connecting with folks all over the world.

Here are the 3 ways people are finding the page so far:

- Through the game applications I added to my page that I know are high traffic applications (Hatchlings and Scavenger Hunt) - Since my Artichoke page is just for fun, I thought this might be a great way to drive some traffic and hit a few artichoke lovers along the way.  (I was right!)

- People are seeing it on their friend's walls after they become a fan and coming and checkin' it out!  (And I'm making new friends left and right!)

- And... believe it or not -people are actually searching in Facebook for "Artichokes".  Well how many people would really do that?  I did, and all I orginally came up with was a band called "The Artichokes" - so I decided to create my own.  I guess there are other people out there as goofy as I am about this unique food.

I am enjoying this project - it's a nice diversion... and something fun to test out.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment